11/29/07

This week, I read an encouraging devotional in Morning and Evening, by C. H. Spurgeon.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

"Don't wait for large opportunities, or for a different kind of work, but do just the things we "find to do" day by day. But where is the might of Christians? It is not in ourselves, for we are perfect weakness. Our might lies in the Lord of Hosts. Then let's seek His help; let's proceed with prayer and faith, and when we have done what our "hand finds to do," let's wait upon the Lord for His blessing. What we do in this manner will be well done, and will not fail in its effect."

The Lord gave me a renewed vision for what He values. The work before me is caring for my husband, daughter and home. It is ironing clothes for Stephen to wear to work, bathing our little girl and preparing dinners. I am not to wait for large opportunities to serve or different work, but to do what God has ordained for me today.

I need the Lord's strength. Some days I am bored of monotony. Others, I am experiencing His joy at home. The words of Spurgeon reminded me that I need the Lord at all times, whether I realize it or not, to help me work heartily. I want to wholeheartedly serve Him at home, in serving my family. I so desire His blessing on our family.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
This was very encouraging. Thank you.

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."
1 Corinthians 10:31

I understand the monotony of your days. Let's live today to its fullest - living for the Lord.

Erica

Stephen Altrogge said...

And you do everything so well for me...

Jen said...

Erica,
"Whatever you do." In light of the devotional by C.H.S. I see that verse in a new light.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Jen said...

Thanks, Stephen.

Pat McCombie said...

Jen-this was a great post! Thanks for the reminder that I so needed. It's so easy to get caught up into wrong thinking when it comes to day to day life. It also blesses us so much as your parents to see the ways in which you serve your family and also the way Stephen serves you and Charis. It's a great example to all of us.

Jen said...

I agree, it is often easy to lose focus in the everyday.

Anonymous said...

Jen - thanks. so encouraging. i'm glad to hear that monotony is a common problem, not just with me. i know you read elliott's family book too, but i love this quote about Amy Carmichael: "In her experience in India, she said, she found that souls were 'more or less firmly attached to bodies.' Bodies require houses and therefore house-cleaning; food and therefore cooking; clothes and therefore washing." (i had this somewhere else - don't worry, i didn't type it just for you!) :)
Sara

Jen said...

Sara,
There is something helpful about knowing others are tempted the same way as you are. It builds my faith. I need to reread that book soon. It's a good one. The quote... simple...yet eye-opening. Thanks for NOT just typing it for me:)