11/16/07

Happy, Happy Birthday

The hardest part about honoring my mom, is summing up how her pursuit of the Lord and friendship have influenced me, in one post.

As I am now a wife and mother, I can see with new eyes, how my mom pursues the Lord with all that is within her. Anyone who knows her, knows she possess the fruit of the Spirit, joy. The joy that pervades all that she does, speaks so loudly of the Gospel. She has cared for our family in the mundane, the trying times and the joys. Joy amidst trouble is surely from the Lord. She is always game for a good laugh, too. Proverbs 14:1 says, “A wise woman builds her house.” The ways that she has continually considered our family above her own interests, portrays wisdom that is pleasing to the Lord. What a blessing it is to observe her godly character as a wife and mother, and to some day, by God’s grace, cultivate the same.

I glean much wisdom from the hours she spends in conversation with me. The time of night (or morning) never hindered her from listening to my concerns. She knows me best. She know my strengths and weaknesses. I am best served by her hard questions, honest observations, encouragement, and bountiful grace and compassion. Even now that I do not live at home with her, I cherish the time we have together.

I love you, mom
Happy Birthday

6 comments:

Pat McCombie said...

Thanks Jen! That's one of the nicest gifts that any mom could get for her birthday! It's been a joy being your mom. Love you so much--Mom

janelle said...

with the little time left in the day...I'm gonna hop on the bandwagon and say I'm with Jen :.)Thanks mom!!! Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!
(a day late...)

Pat McCombie said...

Thanks Beth and Janelle!!

Mark Altrogge said...

Pat, I thank God for you. You truly do exude the joy of the Lord. I'm so grateful that God brought your family together with ours. Your cheerfulness (and Matt's as well) has been passed on to your daughters. I trust it will be passed on to Charis as well. Maybe someday she'll be cheerful about wearing black dresses!

Pat McCombie said...

Thanks for your more than kind comments Mark! We too are so thankful for bringing our families together. We couldn't have picked a better fit for Jen! Not to mention how fortunate Charis is for having Stephen and Jen for parents. I guess time will tell concerning the dresses. ha!ha! Pat