12/2/07

Baby Band-Aid

One evening, before waking Charis up for her late night feeding, I decided it was a perfect opportuninty to clip her nails. She was asleep and would never have to know that I finally gave her nails a much needed trim. Her arms were limp and she would not fight my efforts. Now I know why I put it off for so long.

There is no "perfect opportunity" to clip a baby's nails. It is inevitable that he or she will wake up the second the clippers go in the direction of the hand. That startle, in turn, causes well-meaning moms to catch the nail and the skin, causing the little piggy (yes I used the words little piggy) to bleed. That is exactly what happened.
I did not notice she was bleeding, however, until the blood had gotten on her sleeper. Then she had a delayed cry of pain. Have you ever considered how one is to put an adult size bandage on a three month old? It is a task that should probably not be attempted by average people like myself. I know that, because it just did not work.
After she was asleep in bed, I was left "shouting out" the little blood spots that had made themselves in the most peculiar places. Let's just say, I quit after nail number one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen--that is hysterical! I can just picture you trying to do a manicure on your little precious baby. I'm sure you probably felt horrible after that--just like I would have doing that to you 21 years ago!! I'm glad that we can share in that experience. Love, Mom

Jen said...

I did feel horrible! Such a minor thing, too. I never pictured you as a clutz like me, though. Maybe you were, back in the day before you accumulated a wealth of wisdom.

Pray for Ian said...

not surprising....:) you don't even want to know what happened one time i clipped ian's nails....maybe someday i'll tell you, but not on a blog:)

Jen said...

Haha. You're so funny, Laris... not. I can only imagine what you did!