9/4/08

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Happy 1st Birthday, Charis! Whenever dad and I found out I was pregnant, we had no idea how much joy you would bring us. You, dear filled our little family of two with so much more love. Even last night as we were reflecting on your birth one year ago, we were brought to tears, overflowing with gratefulness to God.

Some of my fondest memories of the past year are seeing your sweet, little face for the first time in the delivery room, hearing you whimper as a newborn, cuddling in bed with you and dad on Saturday mornings, our first Christmas together, waking up to your cooing and babbling each morning, seeing you learn to dance and receiving your open-mouthed kisses on my cheek. I could go on and on.

Your name means grace. That which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness and loveliness. Of the merciful kindness of God. A gift of grace. I can scarce think of a name more fitting. I love you, pumpkin.

Since we moved, we have been the recipients of lavish kindness. First family friends had a birthday celebration for Charis last weekend. As delicious as the cupcakes were, Charis still hasn't developed a sweet tooth like mine.

Second, this morning L got up before the crack of dawn to decorate and to cook a birthday breakfast feast, so that we could all celebrate together before Stephen left for school. She even made homemade banana and cinnamon pancakes...mmm. Charis loved 'em.
It sure is hard to get four children to look at the camera and smile at the same time.

10 comments:

Megan said...

Yay Charis! Happy Birthday! Isabel drew a picture for you. I guess you will get it this weekend :-)

Jen, Izzy and I were out exploring today after our trip to the Library and we actually made it to your road! thinking of you!

janelle said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Charis, happy birthday to you!
I miss you all, especially Charis on this special day! Have fun continuing the celebration.
Very cute pictures!
She doesn't look like she's changed much (in looks) since you guys left...and she better take it slow!

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st Birthday Charis! It's hard to believe it was one year ago today that the Altrogge's and McCombie's were at the hospital waiting for our little blessing to be born. She's brought us all so much joy! Give her a big hug and kiss from us. We wish we were there--Pat

Anonymous said...

Charis,
HAPPY 1st birthday!!!! love ya<3


love Julie
Aunt

Kim said...

Happy 1st Birthday, Charis!! Yay!! :)

Mark Altrogge said...

What a happy day this day is! The day Charis was born was one of the happiest days of my life. I'm so glad Jonny and I got to be with you guys last weekend, and so grateful for Steve and Laura. God has been so good to all of us.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, you little sweetie!
I looked back at the 2007 calendar and according to the poem: "Tuesday's child is full of grace"...and you are!
Jen, keep the pictures coming!
:-)

Mary Ann K.

DianaPaisley419 said...

Happy birthday, sweet Charis.
And Jen, I miss you!! Call me sometime?

Campbell said...

hapi birthday charis-buddy! 1 year is very old! luv u - eva

Jen said...

You all are too good to us!