4/7/08

My Peanut

Last week, I took Charis to an appointment, and in the waiting room, a little boy of about three years asked his mom if there was a baby in the car seat the lady (me) was carrying. She said, "Yes, but that's a BIG baby." In my mind I was thinking, "Nooooo, she's my little baby girl, what are you talking about, stranger?

Seriously though, that situation reminded me of the brevity of each season I walk through. There will most likely be happy and sad occurrences in every season in my life, but if I look forward to when she will walk or when she will enjoy the zoo, I will miss the joy of having a seven-month-old. I will miss the good the Lord has in store for me now. Stephen put it well, when I came to him in distress because Charis had outgrown her 0-3 month clothes. "Sure, those first days were special, she would fall asleep in our arms and be content there for a while, but now she is smiling and cooing." I can look back at those days with fondness and at the same time appreciate all she is doing now.

That lady probably wasn't too inaccurate now that I think about it. I guess Charis isn't quite the peanut she used to be. She is in my mind though. Will it always be that way?

(Thanks Sara, for taking pictures of my girly when she was, "seven days out of the womb," as you put it so well:)

2 comments:

Sandy kimmel said...

So sweet, so cute. Wow, you "kids" are beginning to see and feel the passing of time. Hold on to your Sketchers dear one. One of my all time favorite songs, you may not know.
From the musical, Fiddler on the Roof
"Sunrise, Sunset"
I do not know how to punctuate that in this medium. But anyway, you are so right; enjoy and cherish each moment for what it is. Neither wish to hard for the future nor look back to long on the past. 'Cause you sure don't want to miss the adventure of today.
Sandy Kimmel

Jen said...

"Neither wish to hard for the future nor look back to long on the past." How true!