4/29/08

After reading Running Scared, a book I highly recommend on the topics "fear, worry and the God of rest," I have begun The Gospel for Real Life. I have only read the first chapter and am already anticipating coming to a better understanding of the Gospel and applying it to my day-to-day life.

"The best preparation for the study of this doctrine [that is, of the truth of the Gospel] is, neither great intellectual ability nor much scholastic learning, but a conscience impressed with a sense of our actual condition as sinners in the sight of God."

Understanding my sinful condition before the Lord, is the doorway into appreciation for and joyful adoration of Christ's work on the cross. Let the awareness of our sin before a holy God, catapult us into the sweet amazement of His love for us. Conviction is not a place of despair, but an opportunity to show appreciation to the Lord, for covering our sins and sending His Spirit to help us grow.

5 comments:

DianaPaisley419 said...

thanks for talking today. married talk is fun :-)
i blogged for you ;-)

Jen said...

It sure is. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.

Sara B. said...

Hey Jen,
I am curious - are you always reading something? Is this a habit you were encouraged into by some person or teaching in your life?
Sara

Jen said...

Hmm...good question. They are helpful to me. I read Running Scared to help in my battle against fear, for example. More on that to come!

Unknown said...

Hey Jen -

Did you finish this book? Impressions? Find any resources to accompany it?

We are using this book for our Africa Short Term Mission team which leaves for South Africa and Mozambique next week.

-tim
(brother of Tom Kurtz)
Wellspring Church, San Leandro, CA