4/1/08

You Owe Me

In his book Running Scared, Ed Welch explains that God has surely created us with need for love. We often fail to see, that not only is there a love you receive, but also one you give. We have all heard the philosophy that marriage is 50-50, give and take. The idea is, if I go to the basketball game with him, he owes me one...possibly a Pride and Prejudice night (the five hour version, mind you). We all know what I mean. Keeping tabs permeates many other relationships as well. We strive for balance.

As Welch stated so well, "Scripture seems to favor the imbalance." We do not seek to have other serve us less of course, but "in humility count others more significant than ourselves." (Philippians 2:3) If we consistently seek to outdo our friends, spouses, roommates, siblings, parents, in showing kindness, there is sure to be an imbalance.

"When we see that our relationship with God began with the most extreme imbalance, in which God loved us totally while we hated Him, we approach the small imbalances we encounter in daily life in a completely different way." I can never repay Him for the sending His Son to die for me. He has always been the Initiator in loving relationships with His children. He will always love me more than I love Him. The least we can do, is seek to be like Him in showing love to others.

In what relationship are you witholding kindness? How can Christ's love at the cross change your method of "keeping tabs" in a relationship? These questions are helpful for me to be asking myself, so I can pray that God would help me extend kindness to my husband, family and friends.

Now if you'll excuse me, Stephen owes me three and a half hours of Pride and Prejudice...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pride and Prejudice was great. My dear, sweet, loving, generous husband watches these epic, era movies without one complaint. He does mock a little bit in the beginning.

Consider it an even trade for all the stinky socks left on the living room floor.

j

Jen said...

j,

I agree about P&P. Isn't it a lot more fun to watch, with our husbands...even if they do mock a little! Haha. You're right, it is an even trade.