12/11/07

I find great joy in purchasing that special gift at an unbelievably low price. I look forward to getting the Christmas tree on the very first weekend in December. I can sing every song, in order, on Amy Grant's "Home For Christmas." But what happens when my shopping day is altered, or when we are not able to get the Christmas tree the very first weekend in December?
The answer is, my joy fades. Why does my joy fade? My affection has, without my even noticing, shifted from Giver to gift. Sure, I am joyful as long as every holiday plan goes as I pictured. Whenever it does not, I am left feeling letdown and empty.
"If Christ is to be glorified in His people, their following must not be rooted mainly in His promised gifts or threatened punishments, but in His glorious Person...But His works are great because the Lord is great. And they will become idols of delight unless they point us to Himself as our highest delight." (When I Don't Desire God, John Piper)
After a helpful conversation with my husband, I was aware of my lack of joy. Yeah, sometimes I am a happy person, but it is when things do not go my way I am no longer "happy." For me, the holiday is chock full of opportunities to make idols of those things intended to increase my affection for my Savior. Joy is ultimately in Him! He blesses me with good things, to show me His glory.
This week, whenever I am enjoying His special gifts of Christmastime, I have been trying to remember to turn to Him. I thank Him for the gift and that He alone is my delight. The things of this earth will not satisfy me. After Christmas is over, the tree will be gone. He Himself is joy to my soul.
"In your presence there is fullness of joy." (Psalm 16:11)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this jen...

and... i love that stephen is playing for charis.
but he looks like he's yelling.
but that's his typical singing loud face anyways...

ok. goodnight.

Jen said...

You're welcome, Beth. I love listening to him play for Charis.

You actually went to bed before 4am. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I love it!! I don't think it's corny but what do I know.
love ya!
C.J.

Jen said...

C.J.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it is hilarious too. You know plenty...you're a funny person, always game for a laugh:)