12/4/07

Kindness

I have recently been reading a book entitled Spurgeon: A New Biography, by Arnold Dallimore. While Charles Spurgeon's pursuit of the Lord is inspiring, I have also been encouraged by Susannah Spurgeon's example.

When Charles was married at age twenty-two, he was pastoring a church of over two-thousand people, visiting distant churches to preach and writing his first book. I thought our life was busy. Theirs was in a whole other realm of busy. With Charles speaking, traveling and writing so often, I am sure he often returned home to his wife exhausted. He was probably mentally drained from all the preparation for sermons and writing. He was probably physically drained from speaking and traveling. Dallimore said,

"He frequently returned home utterly exhausted, but invariably found loving arms awaiting him amid every possible kindness and comfort."

When Stephen comes home from work, a meeting at church, reaching out to an unsaved friend or spending time with the guys, he is often tired, mentally and physically (always loving and sensitive to me, though). Here is a perfect opportunity for me to welcome him in the door with loving arms and every possible kindness and comfort.

I often give into the temptation to withhold kindness. I must recognize why I am not extending kindness. Am I bitter that he had meetings at Starbucks or does not have energy to do something with me. Am I angry that he spent time with the guys or playing video games? I must fly to the Savior in these moments, to repent of anything that causes me to withhold kindness from Stephen.

Please pray with me, that the Lord would help us grow in loving our husbands this way. If kindness were always "felt," then Scripture would not command wives to be kind to their husbands (Titus 2:5). I want to invariably, or consistently, extend loving arms and show tons of kindness toward Stephen. I want to repent of the sin that hinders me from being kind to my husband when he returns home. I want the same to be said of me, that was of Susannah Spurgeon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, you are an example of godliness to me. God's grace is truly at work in you. Thanks for this exhortation!
Sara

Anonymous said...

Dear Jen,

I love reading this and seeing pictures of Charis. You are such an example of what a godly wife should be. I admire you so much as I embark on becoming a wife.
You should probably call me soon...I am moving in nine days!!! And I want to SEE you!!!
Love,
Diana

Lylah Ledner said...

as a pw...i love your heart and honesty...and the show to others of what is so required...blessings...lylah

janelle said...

I hope to one day put in to practice the things you said in this post :.) but for I also know that even now I can strive to put them into practice with our fam and my friends...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen:

This was such a good reading. I was convicted of how I treat Cameron when he comes home. I know that sometimes when I'm not kind it is because of discontentment, or resentment. Thank you for obeying the Holy Spirit in posting this because it made me remember that when I am having those feelings to go to the Lord and not to put them on Cameron. Thank you for reminding me doing kindness. Thank you Holy Spirit for speaking to Jen to remind us all.

Jen said...

Sara,
Thank you for your encouragement. I am grateful for your friendship.

Jen said...

Diana,
Thanks, Diana. We can learn this wife stuff together:)

Jen said...

Lylah,
As I am sure you know, there are many opportunities to learn to exercise kindness. Thanks for your kind words.

Jen said...

Janelle,
What a good point. There are abundant opportunities in every season, to cultivate kindness.

Jen said...

Raye,
Isn't it kind of God to convict? That is good of you to point out that we must go to the Lord when we are withholding kindness. He is eager to help us.