12/7/07

Cinnamon Scones

Scripture instructs women to be kind (Titus 2:5). Whenever I read that statement, I had a vague understanding of its definition. I know kindness is a good thing, pleases the Lord and is a fruit of the Spirit working in believers, but what does it look like practically, to be kind?

In Feminine Appeal, Carolyn Mahaney wrote a helpful chapter on "The Rewards of Kindness." In my desire to grow in kindness to family, friends and others I come in contact with, I went straight to the wealth of knowledge she provides here. She quotes Jerry Bridges who defines kindness as, "...a sincere desire for the happiness of others, and goodness is the activity calculated to advance that happiness." Talk about bringing clarity.
As sisters, wives, mothers, friends, grandmas, co-workers and girlfriends, how can we make kindness a habit? How can we advance the happiness of those around us? What will really knock the socks off of those you love?
Stephen loves scones. I love to bake, but for some reason, I do not enjoy the process of making scones (maybe it is because the batter is not nearly as tasty as chocolate chip cookie batter:) Sometimes I do not have time, but at other times, selfishness creeps in and I desire pleasure for myself rather than serving him. Would it bless him, or advance his happiness, if I made them? Definitely. Goodness would be buying the ingredients at the store, setting aside time to make the scones and carrying out that plan. That is calculating the advancement of his happiness.
The Lord does not desire that we be condemned. He is kind to convict us and will give us the grace to change. He is the Author of each relationship we are in. He will surely help us. Let's be praying this week that the Holy Spirit would impress upon our hearts one area we have failed to be kind, whether it be at a particular time of day (i.e. when we are tired at night), towards a specific person (i.e. a roommate) or in a way we do not enjoy (i.e. babysitting a sibling). And let us ask knowing He is mighty to help.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the admonition, Jen! It is deceivingly "easier" to do the things that we want for ourselves, rather than give higher regard to those around us. Thank you for living what you write, and desiring to honor God's word through showing kindness. He has been faithful to you.
-Steph

Jen said...

I appreciate your encouraging words. It is so helpful to know that others are walking through the same things as I am. It reinds that God is going to help us!