6/20/08

Whenever I was reading The Gospel for Real Life, I came across a section that was particularly helpful, specifically in my prayer life. Jerry Bridges paints a beautiful picture of the specific ways we see God caring for us, Father for child. This has helped me grasp more fully what it means that God is my Father. He connects those dots that I am just to slow to bring together myself!

God provides for us:
"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19).

God protects us:
"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth far more than many sparrows" (Matthew 10:29-31).

God encourages us:
"You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry" (Psalm 10:17).

God comforts us:
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God" (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).

God disciplines us:
"Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness" (Hebrews 12:10).

(Note the preceding five points are the words of Jerry Bridges and not my own.)

Seeing these truths brought out in Scripture, has guided me in thanking God for the specific ways I see Him caring for me and in praying for Him to provide, protect, encourage, comfort and discipline me in my present circumstances.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Excellent Jen! Thanks for sharing this.
On another topic, we recently had a women's meeting where our pastor shared on Proverbs 31:25 "Strength and dignity are her clothing and she smiles at the future." Smiling at the future, that's something I want to be known for no matter the circumstances. (I guess that's something for me to pray about) The message was a great reminder, maybe I will be able to share the CD with you down the road.

Grace to you!

Jen said...

I want to be known for that as well! Sounds like a message I could really use. Let me know if it is online. Thanks for your encouraging words, Megan.

Mark Altrogge said...

Great post Jen!

Jen said...

Thanks, Mark.

Anonymous said...

Jen, thanks for posting! This is encouraging.

Jen said...

Sure thing beth.