5/7/08

There was a comment in a previous post that got me thinking. My friend asked, summed up, "Why read spiritual books?" Stephen and I sat down and asked ourselves that same question. Why do we spend time reading books? What good are they? Is it worth the time? Granted, I am in a unique season that allows for me to spend extended time in my devotions reading. But if you too, have asked yourself these questions, I'll share our thoughts with you.

There is value in seeing the Lord, His word and the Gospel, through the eyes of others.
Have you ever attended a Bible study? had a conversation with a friend? Chances are, a person will make a remark and leave you thinking, "Wow, I never thought of it that way." Oftentimes, when Stephen and I are talking about a message or the passage we read in our devotions, each of us will have additional thoughts to share, that the Lord didn't reveal to the other. The same is true for reading books by various Christian authors. For example, C.H. Spurgeon probably has some thoughts on prayer that haven't occurred to me.

God's attributes are infinite. For example, I will never fully understand the love of God until I reach heaven. Until then, there is a wealth of books to reveal His glory more clearly to me.

What about you? What are you reading now? What has been the most helpful book you've read?

More to come tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Jen. I, too, love Spurgeon. Can't wait to read the book you got me!

Miss Charis looks so old in this photo! Look at that Altrogge/Smith nose. She's sitting!

(almost) Auntie Sarah

Jen said...

Sarah,

Enjoy it! A friend gave it to me shortly before I got married, too (which actually wasn't all that long ago:)