5/7/08

We're asking ourselves, "Why spend time reading spiritual books?" What good are they? Is it worth the time? Yesterday, we saw that there is value in seeing the Lord, His word and the Gospel, through the eyes of others. Today we'll add to that.

God has gifted some in teaching, and it is our joy to learn from them.
Most would admit they don't have the knack for teaching. They're the ones who, when asked at caregroup to sum up last Sunday's message, answer in a quiet, shrill voice, "Well, uhh, I think his point was uhh something...something pertaining to Jesus...or the Bible?" That would be me. John Piper, however, has a gift of writing clear, thought-provoking and life-altering books. God uses his gift of teaching, through the books he writes. While no one wants to read a book on joy by me, it is our delight to read the works of those wiser, in order that we may see the Lord more fully.

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." (I Corinthians 13:12)

Do you have anything to add to our list? Share it in the comments, I'd love your advice.

6 comments:

DianaPaisley419 said...

I like to read spiritual books for empathy with other Christians. It is so encouraging to read books about how people of faith deal with certain trials, especially if I have gone through something similar. I mean, I know that Jesus is the perfect source of empathy, but it is encouraging to see how God works other situations for His glory and our good.

Jen said...

So true. It helps to read books like that because they remind us that our struggle is not new, even though it often feels that way. Good point.

DianaPaisley419 said...

Would you or Stephen recommend a book for a brand new Christian?
My co-worker just came to Christ yesterday (YAY) at our lunch Bible study. It was AMAZING. But she knows nothing of the Bible or Jesus or anything...so she needs something that will help her start this journey without overwhelming her. Your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Diana, I know you asked Jennifer to respond, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. "The cross centered life" by C.J. Mahaney helped me a lot to understand the gospel when I first came to Christ--I didn't know quite where to begin and this book is terrific at helping people understand that the Gospel is foremost.

On the book note, I like reading spiritual books because they provide me with guidance. If there's a particular scripture topic I'm trying to understand, I do my best to glean as much as I can straight from scripture and the insights the Spirit gives me, but I know my understanding is limited, so I find it incredibly helpful to read the insights the Spirit has given others and integrate them into the ones the Spirit has given me.

Jen said...

Diana,

First Steps of Faith by Steve Shank and The Gospel for Real Life by Jerry Bridges are excellent (the first would be sold at the Sovereign Grace Store, sovgracemin.org). I agree with Rebecca, The Cross Centered Life is also a great choice. How exciting to hear of your co-worker becoming a Christian. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jen said...

Rebecca,

The Cross-Centered Life is an excellent suggestion. That's one I go back to time and time again.

I agree, God's Word and the Holy Spirit are wonderful gifts, and yet our understanding only goes so far. What a blessing that God has given us books for guidance. Your two cents is always welcome!