1/30/08

Perfect Leadership

One thing that I love about reading God's word each day, is that His Holy Spirit reveals more about God and His call for Christians each time I read a passage, whether it be the second time or the hundredth time.

I have been reading in Ephesians, and this week was meditating on 5:22, "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord." This caused me to ask myself why I submit to Stephen. First of all, I submit to Stephen because the Lord clearly commands it. My submission is an act of obedience to the Lord.
Second of all, I submit to Stephen because it is an expression of my submission to the Lord. Why do I submit to the Lord? He is holy; His ways are far above my own. He is sovereign; He works all circumstances for my good and His glory. He is loving; the depth of His love for me was displayed at the cross, where He sent His only Son to die on the cross for every one of my sins. I could go on and on. Is Stephen holy, sovereign and perfectly loving toward me? Certainly not, but God is. I can trust that God has equipped Stephen and wants to use his leadership in my life.
This caused me to pray in two ways. I asked God to help me value Stephen's leadership and take his counsel more seriously. Also, I want to see submission to Stephen as I see submission to the Lord. I need the Lord's help to trust the leadership He has instituted for me, and in doing so, trust Him.

2 comments:

Sandy kimmel said...

Keep preaching it my young friend. This old girl needs reminded of these simple truths. Sometimes my rut gets deep and dangerous. The Holy Spirit is using your gentle words and example to spur me out of middlle age complancy. Ok, I cannot spell that word, I have tried three times and it is still not right. I love your blog. Thanks for sharing, your wisdom and the pics of your princess.
sandy kimmel

Jen said...

Sandy,
Your note is encouraging to remember there are ruts in all seasons of life. When I'm in that place, it is amazing to read some truth and think, "Man, that makes so much sense...why have I been missing it." You're the one who should be sharing wisdom with me!