2/26/08

Burnt Split Pea Soup

"Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." (Colossians 3:22-24)

Recently, I tried a new recipe for dinner, called Split Pea Soup. One of the ingredients was bacon, so I figured, as long as I told Stephen there was meat amidst the green bowl of mush, he'd go for it. Cooking the soup is a process of a number of hours, and something went terribly wrong somewhere along the line. I went into the kitchen to "periodically stir" the soup just as the directions instructed. This time, however, the green mush was enveloped in black, crusty peas. Yes, I managed to burn the soup. I am not quite sure where I went wrong, but that's not the point.
Whenever I gave the news to Stephen, 1) He was not disappointed and 2) He reminded me that I would still get my reward in heaven (after which, I probably rolled my eyes thinking something like, "Yeah, that sounds good, but that doesn't solve the what's-for-dinner-predicament"). He was right.
Even though the dinners I make bless my husband, they are ultimately an act of service to the Lord. If I could remember this truth whenever I am washing the same clothes for the hundredth time or scrubbing the kitchen floor, I would probably work more diligently. My reward is not seeing Stephen's enjoyment or having the pleasure of a "job well done," but it will be from the Lord in heaven.
"The work of a slave was surely the most menial and thankless, but what changed aspect that work would hold if he saw it as service to the Lord Himself." (Secure In the Everlasting Arms, Elisabeth Elliot)
We got pizza that night...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Good point! I didn't think of it in that way. I do things more for the joy of having something well done or for making someone else happy, instead of doing things firstly for GOD. Should change :). Thanks for the lesson! :)

Anonymous said...

ha ha! Aw, man, that's a bummer, but what a cute (and truthful) way for Stephen to encourage you and give you a giggle. So true that we need to remember our laundry and floor-scrubbing is for God. BTW, I somehow managed to splatter applesauce all over my floor, trash can and wall - oh, and my slippers - yesterday when attempting to set Asher's lunch on the counter. I have never seen such a mess get made in a matter of milliseconds. Did you know that applesace becomes invisible on beige linoleum? Amazing.
Sara

Anonymous said...

hello jen
i miss you
i almost finished compiling wedding music today...wish i could share with you!
hope all is well!

Jen said...

Anja,
I too, often have the same motives. God is so very patient with us! Thanks for stopping by.

Sara,
Smooth move...sounds like you've been hanging out with me too much. And no, I did not know that applesauce becomes invisible on beige linoleum. Thanks for that tid-bit. Haha.

Diana,
It is almost April! Hopefully you are enjoying every bit of planning and are not too frazzled yet. I bet your music selections are beautiful.